Sunday, February 15, 2009

Developing Work 2a

We all have a way of expressing ourselves through English itself. English has educated one in understanding the different ways of formatting when conversing with one another. These ways can be progressed in poems, blogs, songs, but is not hardly found on the Internet to express ones thoughts. When it comes to Americans speaking they have their own unique category of conversing amongst many. African American Vernacular English ( AAVE) is an English that is predominately spoken by Blacks social groups that have their own distinct ways of language that throughout the United States of America. AAVE is very common, but when one begin to view the Internet for the English it is very rare. The reason for this is because many people nowadays make sure they speak an English that is notified as Standard English especially if its being viewed to the public.

When I began to search on the net for AAVE listings and where people have used it, it became very challenging. There wasn't anything that would just be there in ones viewing. One actually had to search the engine to find this topic. The first website I viewed was a website that could help an individual speak in a certain dialect. This website was giving out examples of different words that many use in certain situations. There were alot of slang words used in the contexts.
I found it really interesting how one can type in a word in other words would substitute the word chosen

As I began to complete the given assignment I first viewed public blogs on the website BlackPlanet.com. BlackPlanet is a site that is an open communication device where many can join, but is mainly used by African American. This cite allows one to view anyone blog without having to sign up. As I was viewing the cite the first thing I recognized was a blog about a few things such as: The top 5 Worst dunks, Need a Vacation, NBA All-Star Eye Candy, and Rhianna Rocks. I then got really excited, because I wanted to see what the media was saying on these topics. My hopes got up too high, then the computer started tripping.

When searching on the website BlackPlanet there were many blogs that was on the home page. I began to click on one of the individuals blogs and found it very boring. Many people on their blogs was basically rumbling on about themselves. They weren't talking about anything in which they enjoyed, the occupation currently working at, or just life in general. It was mainly about them and them and them. This AAVE is know as braggadocio. The thing that soon amazed me was no individual use there government names as their screen names. There were names like "passionatelover4", " Alwaysbusy", "40 dw", 1badpony, and many more.

After completing this I then looked for the AAVE that individuals was using on their blogs. This was very hard, because alot of people's blog's was listed as private. I soon found a blog that was public viewed and the AAVE was standard English. There wasn't any abbreviating words or slang in the blog. After searching for a while I then viewed a blogged that someone seemed like they were talking just to be talking. This young individual used "thru". This word is usually spelled like threw or through. It all depends on the context of speaking. Another word I found was "cuz". Now this word is shorten for because. When writing a blog it is easier to abbreviate things, depending on the topic of the blog. In other words, it is really hard to find cites with AAVE on it. When trying to find websites one must be very descriptive and precise when reseaching. I thought it was very interesting how not one blog was the same as another. They were all creative and unique from another.

5 comments:

  1. I agree, it is hard to find websites where AAVE is used or talked about. I too searched around for a while before I found something I could use. All you need is more examples which will be found with more research so I'm sure it won't be too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've found several characteristics of digital language; however, I'm not sure which AAVE phonological features you note here. Can you specify these? Also, did you notice any grammatical and rhetorical features on this site?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In one part of your blog you mention that, "The AAVE used was standard English." That sentence does not make sense because either they are using African American Vernacular English OR they are using Standard English. They can't be using both in the same sentence (They could be using both in the same blog, just not at the same time). I would recommend that you show whole sentences for greater examples in your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your argument about AAVE in digital spaces because because of your good example of the use of African American vernacular. Arranged: What are your examples being compared to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also had a hard time finding AAVE on major web pages. Maybe provide more examples of AAVE features found on BlackPlanet and go into detail of how/when they are appropriated.

    ReplyDelete